Music Business 101
Making Money in the New Music Industry
The music industry has changed radically in the last fifteen years. Gone are the days of getting discovered by a label, getting signed, and having an experienced industry team navigate the waters for you. Now, the music business is a do-it-yourself model for most successful, working musicians.
This seismic shift has opened up both new opportunities and new challenges for artists. There are more resources available for the DIY artist than ever before… but where do you start, and how do you know what to focus on as your career evolves?
Join Performance High’s artist development coach Justin Leighton Long for a class that gives you an overview of the main income streams in today’s music industry, how to build them, and how to avoid losing tens of thousands of dollars through bogus “opportunities”. Justin has over twenty years of experience in the old and new music industries, both as an artist with Atlantic Records and as the music business coach to scores of up-and-coming artists.
- The true numbers behind streaming, mechanical, and digital payments
- How and when to copyright your songs
- How to make money by playing your music
- How to submit your music to stores (for compensation)
- How to get music on the radio, into movies, or on TV
- How to utilize the newer channels such as Spotify, Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, and Apple Music
- Which channels and outlets are right for you
- The rules regarding cover songs on YouTube, SoundCloud, and Facebook, so your account doesn’t get shut down.
- How to select a PRO (Performing Rights Organization), and get in-person help navigating their websites to register your account and your first work
- Work for Hire agreements for studio musicians
- How to spot scams
Registration and Schedule
Sat Nov 6, 2021, 2-6pm
Members – $60
Non-members – $75
Online or in Denver at 3131 Walnut St, Denver CO 80205.
About Your Teacher
Justin Leighton Long is a musician, engineer and record producer who has worked in various styles including blues, country, rock, rap and pop. Justin was a founding member, lead guitarist and songwriter for the band No Address. No Address released Time Doesn’t Notice on Atlantic Records, with their debut single “Sadie (When I’m Gone)” standing at #11 on the Billboard Radio charts for 22 weeks. No Address toured North America extensively and Justin’s compositions have been featured in feature films and television series, as well as continuing to maintain airplay around the world, (as a fun fact) recently reaching #1 on the college radio charts in Bosnia.
As a recording engineer and producer Justin has worked for bands signed to labels including Atlantic, Elektra, Immortal, Wind Up, Curb, Blind Bat, S-Curve, Victory, Blues Legacy and J Records.