Private Voice Lessons
“I started taking lessons because I knew I needed to take my voice to the next level and I needed to develop some kind of consistency in my singing. I had a lot of bad habits I needed to shed first before I could really start getting better.
“One of the things that I did not expect going in – and also what I enjoy most about working with Tyler – is that he is teaching me to be a better musician and artist as well as a better singer. As a songwriter myself we have been working almost exclusively on my own material, which is helping me to find my own voice. Tyler has also been able to offer some very valuable advice and opinions that are helping me to actually put the finishing touches on songs that just weren’t quite clicking yet.
“Tyler has done a very good job of tailoring his approach to what I want to accomplish and what will most help me get where I want to go. He has been able to identify what my real goals are, and everything we are working on is working to put me on the right path.” - Sean M.
We are both voice teachers and voice coaches. A voice teacher teaches you the technical aspects of how to sing: how to breathe, how to support your voice, how to get pleasing tone and good resonance, how to sing healthfully and effortlessly, how to bridge your break, etc. A voice coach helps you interpret your song, find your voice, make songs your own, and improve your performance. We do either or both, depending on your needs, interests and goals.
Our teaching approach draws on both classical and modern methods. Different teachers use more or less of different methods according to their experience, education, and preferences.
Among all the voice coaches at Performance High, we work with singers in almost all genres: pop singers, rock singers, jazz singers, country singers, R&B singers, folk singers, musical theatre singers, classical singers, and on occasion, opera singers (Lafayette location only). We match the singer with the teacher for the best fit in goals, personality, singing style, and needs.
Yes, we do Skype lessons. They’re not preferred, but if they’re your best option based on your location, we’re happy to work with you!
- Connecting through your bridges
- Singing more easily, with less strain
- Singing with more power and resonance
- Singing louder
- Improving your tone and quality of sound
- Finding more ways to express yourself through voice
- Extending your range to sing higher and lower
- Song interpretation
- Finding, developing, and polishing your unique sound
- Re-learning how to sing after a long break
- Creativity and improvisation
- Microphone technique
- Recording studio preparation
- Demo song selection and development
- Demo song recording
- Song production
- Promo kit development
- Band life – getting into one, starting one, or dealing with the challenges of being in one
- Making a living in music
What else do you want to learn about?
Contact us so that we can learn more about you and see whether there’s a good fit.
What to Expect
- We will make sure to understand your reasons for taking lessons, and tailor your lessons to reach those goals.
- We aim for quick results while still helping you develop a solid, healthy foundation. We don’t want you to get bored and frustrated waiting to see progress, and we don’t expect you to take lessons forever.
- Your lesson will be recorded and posted online in Dropbox for your reference and practice purposes. Most students make much faster progress with recorded reference to their lessons.
- YOU will be safe in the lesson. Although you will be stretched to try new things, you are always in a “safe zone” with us!
- YOUR VOICE will be safe with us. We won’t let you ruin your voice.
- Lessons will be fun and relaxed, but as efficient as possible. We value your time.
- You will sing what you want. We can help you narrow down song choices for what’s most appropriate for you and your current skill level, but you pick songs you like and want to sing.
- You can record a demo track, such as you singing over a karaoke track or accompanying yourself, in our studio using the same gear Adrienne recorded two albums on.
- We can take any track (such as a karaoke track you want to practice to) and quickly transpose it into your key.*
- We can take any track and slow it down for you, so that you can work on difficult passages or exercises more slowly and then build up in speed.*
* most teachers
Click here to see rates for all Performance High lessons.